James Waddell House
James Waddell’s – Lot 11, Reed’s Point
- James Pickett to Thomas Jennings - 1802
- Thomas Jennings to John Harris - 1804
- John Harris to Joseph Dickson - 1813
- Joseph Dickson to James Snider - 1817
- James Snider to William H. Flewelling - 1840
- William H. Flewelling to Justus Wetmore - 1849
- Justus Wetmore to James Waddell Jr. - 1855
- James Waddell Jr. to James E. Waddell - 1898
- Ella Waddell to Lorne Waddell – 1937
History and Style:
This Georgian style home has been split into two apartments, which means that in lieu of the usual central staircase, there are two staircases; one on the north side of the house, and one in what used to be the central hallway. The house lends itself well to being split in two, as the Georgian style is known for being very symmetrical.
There are two main entrances, one facing the river and one facing the road, which is typical of many homes on the Peninsula. The entrances were once surrounded with formal sidelights and transom windows, but these have since been removed. There is very little of the original interior decoration still visible due to extensive renovations. There is, however, one door, which would have once opened into the main hallway, that still has trim and large corner medallions.
This home may have been built by Justus Wetmore or James Waddell. According to deeds and family lore, the property was traded between Justus Wetmore and James Waddell in 1855. Wetmore moved to a lot up the road, where he managed a blacksmith shop, and Waddell gained the advantage of living near his sawmill. In any case, James Waddell lived on the property until he moved up the road to manage the newly opened Willows Hotel. His son, James E. Waddell, lived in this dwelling until his new home was built across the road in 1900, and all his children, except Lorne, were born there. The kitchen was once located in the basement and bricked up holes are still visible on the north wall. Although the house is now split into two apartments, it was once laid out in typical Georgian symmetry. There was a large hall down its centre, with the main staircase facing the river. Off this hall there were two rooms on either end of the house. There has since been a second staircase added to the north side of the home. The exterior has remained largely unchanged except for the removal of the sidelights and transoms around the front doors. The dentil roof rafters are still visible along the eaves of the house’s two gables.