Summer Gallery: The summer gallery presented this year was a show by Chas Mckay. It involved a series of wooden sculptures. The show was entitled Woodcuts
Notable Additions: Some notable additions this year include:
The restoration of Charlotte Amanda Whelpley's wedding dress. It was presented in an upgraded display module in the museum.
A display of Champlain's astrolabe was opened in the museum in August. The astrolabe would have been used by Champlain as a navigational tool during his explorations in North America.
The 400th anniversary of the first European settlement in New Brunswick was commemorated. This involved a celebration taking place on Caton's Island on September 10th. The Honourable Graydon Nicholas, Lieutenant Governor was in attendance.
Summer Gallery: The summer gallery presented this year was a show by Kathy Thornhill. It involved a series of photographs; the show was entitled Backroads of New Brunswick.
Notable Additions: Some notable additions this year include:
The Kingston Peninsula Heritage Choir was established and performed the first War of 1812 concert at Mount Hope Farm, in June. Additional concerts were held, with a wonderful joint concert with Macdonald Consolidated School at the Trinity Church in the fall.
1. June - Coronation Tea (in conjunction with the Anglican Parish) celebrated the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II's coronation.
2. July/August - The summer gallery commemorated the coronation with various artifacts and artwork
3. The museum collections committee continued to update the virtual collection.
4. The Kingston Peninsula Heritage Choir presented the War of 1812 concert at various locations, including the commemoration of the March of the 104th in Fredericton (February). Other performances included: the IODE annual meeting, School District 8 Heritage Fair, Kings Landing, Brundage Point, Grand Manan, St. Andrews Blockhouse and Carleton Martello Tower.
5. The commemoration of the "Grand Communications Route" in association with the War of 1812 activities saw a canoe re-enactment from Cabano,PQ to Saint John during June and July.
1. July/August - The summer gallery commemorated the designation of the St. John River as the 38th Heritage River in Canada (Sept. 2013) with old and new pictures and artifacts on display.
1. In preparation for the 2016 commemorations three trial runs were made under the title "Heritage River Cruises". Heritage programs were developed and delivered by the associated heritage group as shown below. Funding for these trial runs was provided by the New Brunswick Provincial Commemorations Programme and supplemented by a portion of the ticket price.
2. The cruises were advertised through heritage contact lists, newspaper articles in the Telegraph Journal (March 5) and Fredericton Gleaner (March 9), and heritage fairs.
Ticket sales began on February 27 with all three cruises sold out by March 11. Significant waitlists were obtained for all cruises.
Local governments, including the Town of Hampton and the Village of Gagetown, showed great interest in the event and provided significant support for the 2015 cruises.
May 31 - Saint John Marina to Hampton
The Wolastoq Cruise Boat (45 passenger) was prepared for this cruise but unfortunately due to water level it had to be diverted to travel from Saint John Marina to Long Reach (Whites Bluff Wharf).
The "On Boat" program included two half hour performances by the Kingston Peninsula Heritage Choir. The choir, in period costumes, performed primarily early 1800's period music with some modern classic New Brunswick tunes. Whites Bluff Wharf was the location of the "Boat Stop" where passengers disembarked and proceeded to the historic Long Reach United Church. Kings County Heritage presented the impact Hampton and surrounding areas had on the steamboat era, including a display of a variety of artifacts. Steamboat poetry was recited and a period luncheon was provided.
June 6 - Saint John Marina to Gagetown
The Wolastoq Cruise Boat (45 passenger) was used for the run to Gagetown because of inspection issues with the Voyageur II. The date for the trip was also changed.
The "On Boat" program included Wolastoqiyik interpretation, with a stop at Whites Bluff Wharf where the was an hour concert performed by the Kingston Peninsula Heritage Choir. There was a lunch provided on board and the cruise continued to Gagetown.
June 21- Fredericton to Gagetown
The Wolastoq Cruise Boat (45 passenger) travelled from Fredericton to Gagetown on June 21. The "On Boat" program was organized by the St. John River Society and included a presentation on the recent Canadian Heritage River designation. Interpretative talks were given on the Wolastoqiyik, French, English Planter, and Loyalist people, as well as the steamboat era.
Tom Richards from Kings Landing provided several period music sets on board.
The "Boat Stop" at Gagetown was organized by Queens County Heritage and held at the historic Queens County Courthouse. Period music was provided by Michelle Daigle and Don Rigley during a tasty period lunch. This was followed by a play with characters and themes from the steamboat era.
Kingston Peninsula Heritage Choir on Whites Bluff Wharf
3. CHRISTMAS PARTY
Thanks to those who came out to the Kingston Peninsula Heritage Christmas Party at Carter House on November 27. The food was great and the company better. Merry Christmas!
1. The summer exhibit at the museum included a display of steamboat artifacts, pictures, and information including the wheel of the Hampton, and the engine gong of B.F. Tibbets' first boat, the Reindeer (1845). Interactive items included barrel rolling, knot tying, boat trimming and block and tackle.
2. April - Steamboat Era presentations to Cambridge Narrows and MacDonald Consolidated Schools
The Annual General Meeting took place at 7:30 pm on Thursday February 18 at the John Fisher Memorial Museum.
3. May - 200th Anniversary of the First Steamboat
To commemorate and celebrate the 200th anniversary of the first steamboat in New Brunswick (see St. John River Steamboats), a joint concert was planned between the MacDonald Consolidated School Choir and the Kingston Peninsula Heritage Choir at 7pm, Thursday, May 19 at Trinity Church in Kingston. The concert included many period songs and a few recent New Brunswick favorites. The 1785 Hedgeland Organ was played by local musician Carolyn Murray. You even heard the sound of a steamboat engine. The concert was followed by refreshments in the Parish Hall. Free will offering only.
A second concert was held jointly with Queens County Heritage at 7:30pm on May 20 in Gagetown at the Queens County Court House. A few steamboat era ghost rose for the occasion. Both concerts were great events with 150 folks out at Kingston and 50 at Gagetown.
4. June - Trail Day at Moss Glen Nature Trail where several volunteers cleared and generally spruced up the trail. The weather wasn't great but hot dogs and drinks were provided for those who did show up. The painted trillium blossoms were out in full force.
5. July/August - The summer gallery commemorated the community of Clifton.
Three Heritage River Cruises were organized with Kings County Heritage, Queens County Heritage, and the St. John River Society. Trips between Saint John, Long Reach, Gagetown, and Fredericton were a great success with excursions on the river enjoyed by many.
2016 Steamboat 200th Anniversary
In 1802, the chief land surveyor for New Brunswick, Douglas Campbell, claimed, "Ten miles of road fit for any kind of wheel carriage is nowhere to be found in New Brunswick".
Transportation throughout the province was primarily on the waterways powered by manpower or sail. Weather dependent, it could sometimes take five days to move passengers or freight between Saint John and Fredericton, a distance of only ninety miles.
During the early 1800s, a new technology, the steam engine, had been installed in the first commercial boats. New Brunswick quickly realized the benefit steam powered boats would have in the development of the province.
On May 20th, 1816 the first steamboat in New Brunswick, the General Smyth, plied its way from Saint John to Fredericton. This boat was the fourth in North America and was the beginning of 130 years of steamboat use throughout the provincial inland and coastal waters. These craft were critical in moving people, food, equipment, resources, and the products of New Brunswick.
To commemorate and celebrate the 200th anniversary of the start of this wonderful era, a project has been undertaken to develop river cruises between the major traditional terminal points throughout the watershed of the St. John River. These would include the main artery from Saint John to Fredericton, and the Kennebecasis, Belleisle, Washademoak, Grand Lake, and upriver points.
The plan is to develop relevant heritage programs which would be presented both "on boat" and at "boat stops" during the cruises. Existing cruise boat operators on the river would be used. Heritage programs would be developed and carried out by various heritage groups along the river.
The summer exhibit "Growth of a Nation" celebrated Canada's 150th anniversary by identifying 150 places of importance on the peninsula. An interactive Kingston Peninsula map was developed for the website.
1. Carter House Renovations - A new roof, shingles, doors, and front entrance were completed this year ensuring the integrity of this significant historic site.
2. Trail Appreciation Day on the Moss Glen Trail was held in the spring when the painted trillium were at their peak. Twenty folks hiked the trail that day with a BBQ at the entrance.
St. Jean Baptiste Day used a Celebrate Canada grant to organize a three-event day. The day saw 230 participants in events recognizing the French heritage of the area.
2018 also saw the John Fisher Memorial Gallery Exhibit "Women of the Kingston Peninsula" which presented the impact that the women of Kingston had on the development of the community.
The John Fisher Memorial Museums artifact cataloging system was also updated, with many artifacts being digitally stored for better access and organization. This new system makes it easier to access files for people interested in researching their family history.
In the summer of 2019 Kingston Peninsula Heritage presented the "Judith Baxter Exhibition" which featured many of the local artists creations in a display at the John Fisher Memorial Museum.
A classical summer concert was held July 21st at the Trinity Anglican Church, featuring Tim Blackmore on piano and Danielle Sametz on violin.
A walking graveyard tour of Trinity Anglican Church was presented on August 14th by Connor DeMerchant. The tour included stories of interesting people buried in the graveyard and he talked about the symbolism of the different decorative carvings on the gravestones.
Kingston Peninsula Heritage also held a summer day camp for children ages 7-12, this program provided the children with a tour of the 1810 Carter House and the John Fisher Memorial Museum.
The museum also presented several heritage fair projects created by the students of Macdonald Consolidated School.
Due to the restrictions created by Covid-19, Peninsula Heritage was unable to hold a summer exhibit.
2020 saw the cataloging and of over 4200 artifacts into the new collective access system and the reorganization of several displays.
The Cedar Lighthouse was also repaired with new shingles being added, a fresh coat of paint was applied, and the trail leading to it cleared of debris and deadfall.
A new driving tour was created for the built heritage locations around the peninsula. This project provides tourists with a map of various historical locations and gave details of each location.
Annual General Meeting was held in the 1810 Carter House Gardens.
We wanted to continue expanding on our Built Heritage Driving Tour.
Due to COVID-19, there was no summer exhibit.
Trail Day took place at Moss Glen Nature Trail on June 5th.
We officially became the stewards of the Moss Glen Nature Trail.
Kingston Peninsula Inc. participated in Historical Places Day from July 3rd to July 31st.
We set up a display at the Queen Sqaure Market (July 17th) and Kingston Farmers Market (July 16th) to promote KPH.
Charlotte's Tea took place on August 16th.
For the Summer of 2022, the summer exhibit at the John Fisher Memorial museum was "Cemetery Tales: Cemeteries of the Kingston Peninsula".
Trail Day was held at Moss Glen Nature Trail where an interpreter from Stonehammer Geopark talked about the geological history of the area.
Paddle day was a wonderful success. We met at the Steele Boat Launch on Long Reach on June 14, where many of the group launched canoes and kayaks, while the rest drove the tour.
Wolastoq/St. John River day was held at St. James Anglican Church on Long Reach on . Afterward, an 'indoor picnic' was held at Long Reach United Church. A bonfire was held at the Holderville Cemetery beach.
The exhibit officially opened on July 8th, 2022 at 7pm
The Platinum Jubilee Garden Party was held at 1810 Carter House on July 17 to celebarte the 70 year reign of Queen Elizabeth II. Posters done by students at MCS were on display and an oak tree was planted by the Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick, who was in attendance.
A walking graveyard tour of Trinity Anglican Church was presented on July 13 by Connor DeMerchant. The tour included stories of interesting people buried in the graveyard and he talked about the symbolism of the different decorative carvings on the gravestones.
A viewing of a sunset over the Wolastoq/St. John River took place on August 2 at Long Reach United Church
The Built Heritage Driving Tour was officially launched with all audio files and a new brochure.