McBriarty Cottage

The McBriarty Cottage- Chapel Grove

History and Style:

The McBriarty Cottage, also known as “The Yellow House,” was built for summer use in 1950 by Joe and Ena McBriarty. It is still used as a summer cottage by the McBriarty descendants. Many Catholic families from Saint John’s North End had summer homes in this area. Steamboats would leave the North End and make a stop at St. Bridget’s wharf to drop off vacationers. The Catholic community in Chapel Grove was centered around St. Bridget’s church, which was a mission church of St. Peter’s. St. Peter’s offered summer camps and picnics in Chapel Grove throughout the summer.

Outbuildings- The original shed and well house are still on this lot.