Pickett's - Lot 11, Kingston Corner

Orignial Grant:

Johannes and Appalona Chick - July 14, 1784

Deed Transfers:

Johannes Chick to John Hamilton - 1787

John Hamilton to David Pickett - 1790

David Pickett to Gould Pickett -

Gould Pickett to Seymour and Munson G. Pickett - 1840

Munson G. Pickett to John O. and Jane Dann - 1871

John Dann to Ann Elizabeth Flewelling - 1892

Ann Flewelling to Bev and Ruby Paddock - 1929

Rudy Paddock to Robert and Rosaline Prince - 1980

Robert Prince to Joseph and Nora Kane - 1988


There is an old barn behind the house.

History and Style:

This home sits near Pickett Lake at Kingston Corner. It has been suggested that it was built before 1800, and its hand-hewn beams, herb-drying hooks and trim style would suggest the same. However, the house is not listed on the 1862 walling map, and the owners of the property before 1871, the Pickett family, are believed to have lived in a larger house across the road that burned to the ground. The present owner believes the original road went behind this house, placing it on the Pickett Lake side of the road, and thus in the vicinity of the Pickett homestead and Waterville fulling mills.

Another mystery that lends credence to speculation that this is a Pickett homestead is the inscription “M. G. Pickett, Waterville,” which is etched into an upstairs window of the home. This probably isn’t M. G. Pickett’s original homestead, however, because his home is thought to have burned shortly after he moved to the United States.

The house is one and a half stories, with a small dormer on its façade. A large, box-like two-story extension has been added to the rear of the house. The original hand-hewn beams and wooden pegs have been exposed and preserved by the present owner, and small hooks for drying herbs are still visible in the older part of the house. The original section is made up of two large rooms. There was probably a hall that divided these at one time. The house still sits on its original fieldstone foundation.