Sterritt's

Sterritt's (Titus Farm) - Lot 25, Gorham's Bluff


Original Grant:

Nathaniel Gorham - July 14th, 1784


Deed Transfers:

Nathaniel Gorham to Seth Sterritt - 1843

Seth Sterritt to Mary and Matilda Sterritt -

Mary and Matilda Sterritt to William Sterritt - 1867

William Sterritt to Newton A. and Maude Sterritt - 1908

Newton A. Sterritt to Perry and Clara Duplisea - 1924

Perry Duplisea to Veterans' Land Act - 1946

Veterans' Land Act to Eldon holder Titus - 1966


Outbuildings:

There is a large hip-roofed barn across the road from the house.

History and Style:

This beautiful home was built in 1906 by a William Sterritt. At the time, it was widely circulated that the railroad to Fredericton was going to pass through the Peninsula, and many local entrepreneurs began to prepare for what they saw as an excellent business opportunity. Sterritt decided to build a large hotel on his farm. He thought that the railway was going to pass near his property and planned to be ready for a booming tourist industry. Unfortunately, the railway was diverted to Hampton, and many hopeful businessmen, including Sterritt, were left prepared for a deluge of business that never came. Left in a remote location, the hotel was converted into a private residence and remains a farmhouse to this day, also known as the Titus Farm.

The house was built in the Queen Ann style, which was very popular early in the twentieth century. It has a hipped roof with two lower cross gables, one of which is detailed with a fish scale shingle pattern. It is built on an asymmetrical foundation with one slightly off-centre chimney. The original wrap-around verandah, which was removed years ago, has been replaced on the façade, and there is also a small porch on the side of the house facing the road. The interior trim is modest and there are both hardwood and softwood floors throughout. There are two curved walls in the upstairs hallway, and the small cuts used to curve the baseboards are still visible. There are two staircases in the home. One faces the main entrance; the other was meant to be used by the hotel’s hired help and is located in the kitchen. There is also a cistern in the cellar, which would have supplied easily accessible water to the hotel.