Macdonald Consolidated School
MacDonald Consolidated School - Kingston Corner
History and Style:
Macdonald Consolidated is the second consolidated school to sit at Kingston Corner. In 1904, Kingston’s Macdonald Consolidated School was the first Consolidated School in New Brunswick and it brought revolutionary changes to rural education to the province. The original, which was built in 1904 as a result of Sir William Macdonald’s charitable efforts to improve education in rural communities, burned in 1909. The present school was opened in 1910 and has served the Peninsula well ever since. Before the consolidated school was built, residents of the Peninsula attended numerous one-room school houses. In 1904 seven smaller schools located at Kingston, Midland, Perry Point, Reed’s Point, Hammond River, Clifton and Shamper’s Bluff amalgamated into the new Macdonald school. Students from Hammond River School had to cross the Perry Point Bridge over the Kennebecasis at Jubilee to Perry Point, and travel inland to Kingston.