John Kimball House
This house was built by John Kimball (1823-1904) as a two-room cottage with a loft. Eventually a kitchen was built onto the south end, the roof was raised, and three dormers were added. The original roof rafters were used at a steeper pitch and extensions were nailed to them. The ends of each of the original rafters were mortised to fit their opposite, and wooden pegs were used to secure them. There was originally a fieldstone foundation under the main section of the house, with a partially dug cellar under the kitchen. The basement was accessed through a trap door in the kitchen, but later a staircase was added under the stairs to the second floor. The front veranda dates from the early 1900’s. The house suffered from neglect for many years, and had to be burned in June of 2005.
*Photos provided by Gordon Miller