The screw propelled, the Elaine, was a 112 feet long with a capacity of 156 tons. She was built in 1888 and came to the St. John in 1904. The 500 passenger Elaine boasted a well-stocked bar to serve the needs of the weary traveler. The devoted patrons nevertheless objected to the fact that a shot of Irish whiskey cost all of 7 cents, compared to but 5 cents ashore. The Elaine started on the Wickham-Hampstead daily service out of Saint John with her sister ship Hampstead. She later worked the Fredericton-Saint John run and in 1916 was transferred off the river to the Bay of Chaleur.