The side wheeler, the Soulanges, was built at St. Mary's (opposite Fredericton) and launched in 1877. She was 135 feet long and had a capacity of 201 tons.
The Soulanges, or "sour oranges" as she was called by her detractors, ran on the night run between Indiantown and Fredericton. She could be easily distinguished from other steamers at night because she had no stack screen and the sparks from her burning softwood flew high in the night sky showing up very bright.
In 1893, she was renamed the Olivette.